Friday, March 7, 2008

I love technology....always and forever

The few times I have posted a comment, Samantha is standing over my shoulder showing me how to work this "computer" device. I do spreadsheets at work all day long but this blog stuff is hard. I want to post some kind of picture or visual because I'm afraid if I only type stuff, no one will really read this. So to see who my real friends are, there will be a short quiz at the end of this post so pay attention.

You may be surprised to know that Seattle ranked the most "intelligent" city in the USA (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2007/city/seattle). I'm not sure what that means but it sure boosted my spirits for the customs exam I'm taking on April 7th. I hope to pass the test the first try so wish me luck. Another notable #1 was coffee of course and who can dispute that? Has anyone ever been to downtown Seattle? Coffee is even big in the summertime. I think they are even offering coffee at some daycare facilities ; - )

One ranking that we missed was "Affordability" (#16) which I assume is mostly linked to housing costs. We are environmentally aware (#2) and I can tell you that I hear the words "carbon footprint" and "green" more than I hear my own name. The biggest shame to Seattle is that we ranked #23 in Barbecue. That just depresses me because barbecues are an all American activity.

I have loved every place I have ever lived for different reasons. Here's the quick Pros/Cons list :
*Seattle : Beatiful skyline in between 2 snow covered mountain ranges, next to a lake, and the puget sound with Mt. Rainier in the background. If the clouds move out of the way it's breathtaking.
*Phoenix : Sunny skies every single day! Swim anytime of year. Wearing oven mitts while golfing is no fun.
*Provo (do my 3 months at the MTC count?) : Where else can you go to a nickle arcade, dollar theater and get fry sauce at the nearest Wendy's all within 1 city block? If every one is a member, how can every member be a missionary?
*Loncoche, Chiloe, Punta Arenas, Lago Ranco, Valdivia & Puerto Cisnes Chile : Small town feel and I don't remember ever hearing about anyone hating Chileans as passionately as some people hate Americans. So laid back that "on time" doesn't exist which is cool for parties but killer for meeting a customs deadline.

Places I wouldn't mind moving to :
Rio de Janeiro; Preston, Idaho; Hong Kong; Wenatchee, WA; Nessa, OR

Here are some other surprising statistics for other cities in case you were wondering :
-Portland, OR was the best overall (Characteristics) city
-Washington D.C. was #2 in best family vacation spots

There you have it folks.

8 comments:

Graham said...

I am betting Texas ranked pretty high on BBQ. Houston is the fattest city though... or at least we used to be. You'd be surprised how much coffee there is down here. I think the state beverage has to be Iced Tea though. Little kids drink it in sippy cups... it is CRAZY!

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

What a fun website! THanks for sharing Jordan, and even without a pic, good job with the post :)

MoJo said...

dude. your post blows...but in a good way. jk...this is joseph by the way. Hey so you stoked to come out here or what? i'm wicked stoked to get crazy in vegas...we'll go to the library. (inside joke for las vegans)

Samantha Fife said...

Hey all. I actually was just playing around and didn't even mean to actually post this stuff. I looked at it and realized it was pointless without pictures so I gave up. I guess I accidentally published it. Sorry for any boredom I caused.

-Jordan

John Doe III said...

What's up?

It's nice to stay caught up with old mission buddies. Maybe I should start a blog of my own?

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

Nice job tavale!!!
-Eric

Joseph, Joseph, Joseph... :(

Dustin said...

I'm impressed! Before you know it, you'll be a "blogaholic" and spend hours peering into the lives of people you have never met, nor care to meet. Then you will live life within the context of your blog..."oh, this would make a great blog entry! How would I put this in my blog? I wonder how many comments it would get..." Then you would buy a new "blog phone" that allows you to post live video feeds on your blog from anywhere in the world.

--Dustin, husband of a recovering blogaholic

The Fifes said...

yes, that would be my hubby.

Hey, wasn't there going to be a quiz? I guess i'm the one who loves you most. Good job posting.