Thursday, April 24, 2008

Home!!!

Okay, the whole story.......:
Friday night Jordan and I woke up to Michaela having another seizure.... it was a really short one minute thing, but we still called the ambulance and had her taken to Childrens Hospital ER, (a 30 mile ride....) They released us with a healthy kid with a fever at about four in the morning. So all day Saturday we did the Motrin and Tylenol thing and at about one thirty, she had another little one. Done messing around, we went back to the ER but refused to leave without being admitted. The reason for this is there is a 6-9 month wait for pediatric neurologists for out patient appointments and I wasn't about to wait that long to see if my baby has a seizure disorder. Anyway, we slept there on Saturday night, SUnday she had six three second seizures in front of the nurse, all fever related. Sunday afternoon, the neurologist evaluated her, orderd an MRI Brain Scan and then the Rumatology (joint) people looked at her and ordered a billion blood tests and a heart ultra sound, then the INfectious diesease team ordered another billion blood tests. Monday we got to watch them put our one year old completley under anastesia, (sp) which to tell you the truth was the hardest part for me because I had to hold her while they gave her the medicine in her IV. One minute she was crying and then literally three seconds later, she was gone. I bawled, the nurse escorted us out and 45 minutes later, she was done with the brain scan and chest scan. Those came back normal. Frusterating not to find something, but they were looking for tumors, holes in her heart and really scary things like that, so we were relieved to find nothing with these tests! On Tuesday she had an Echocardiogram, basicaly an ultrasound of her heart. This was to make sure she had all four chambers and that the anatomy was good. Also looking for small pockets of infection. Came back normal. Again good, but frusterating. Anyway, the blood tests came back good also, they were looking for any kind of bacteria infection or viral infection, thyroid problems and weird things like that. The quick ones came back just fine, and on Wednesday her fever broke again so we went home. We are comfortable though because we have seen the entire inside of this kid! They are thinking that (test is pending) she has something called a fever disorder. A small percentage of the population have this, its not life threatening or contagious or life altering. She is a normal girl who will grow normally and get to do things as if she didn't have it. She will get fevers often and her body happens to react with febrile seizures but those aren't damaging either. It's some kids bodies natural reaction. She won't have brain damage, delay in her growth or have a seizure diorder later in life, unless she already has one that hasn't appeared yet. If that is the case, the two types of seizures won't be linked. So that's that. Michaela is healthy, just a little dramatic with the fevers and we love her so much, we are so grateful for the hospital, the insurance and our Heavenly Father for all that we have. It makes you look at things a little differently when you see your baby in the hospital. Like why spend 15 min doing email while I could be snuggling with her or playing with her. Gives you back that eternal perspective that sometimes its hard to hold onto. Anyway, things here are good. We were, are, and might continue to be shaken up a bit, but we'll all heal. Thanks for the concern.
-Samantha

6 comments:

The McClellan Family said...

It is so good to hear the update. Thank you for sharing it with us all! Sorry I haven't called yet. Things are a little hectic. Kate and I will be coming back to Wa on Saturday for 2 wks. We have to meet up this time. Chad is in finals and will be in Wa for 1 wk.

...Laura... said...

It's good to hear that they aren't finding anything major. I'm so sorry you had to watch your little baby go through all that. It's heartbraking to read all this, yet at the same time, it's good, because she seems to be doing well :) Keep up the prayers and faith, and we will too, of course! Love you guys!

Alisha said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad all the tests came back negative though.

The Fifes said...

I have no idea where i have been! How could i have not been reading your blog? I had no idea till Jon was telling us all while he was here. I am so glad to hear things are okay. You will all be in our prayers!

Smith Family said...

We're so sorry about all that you guys have had to go through with your little sweetie! We're glad that you're home now and kind of have an idea about what's been going on! We love you guys and miss you! You can move back to Arizona any time!
Breck and Kimberley

Graham said...

What an ordeal! Glad she is okay though. My friend's daughter actually has the same problem with the fever seizures. She will be 3 this year though and seems to be growing out of it. I know how hard it has been for my friend and scary for her too. I can give you her email if you want. It might help to talk to someone who has been through it.