Monday, February 9, 2009

Dear Mr. Sandman,

I know you are a busy individual, what, with the millions of people you are required to visit on a nightly basis. Is that how it works? Do you visit each person, each night and gift them with a wonderful night sleep? Or do you simply sprinkle sleepy dust over large areas and assume all is well in slumberland?

Well, Mr. Sandman, my dilemma is this: my daughter seems to have been skipped over during the distribution of sleepy dust. I suspect this to be the case because she is two years old and STILL hasn't slept all night!! She wakes up at lest three times a night, and WHEN she naps during the day, it's usually only for about 45 minutes. She must be tired- don't you think?!!! She is a wonderful person, and it's not that I don't enjoy every minute that I get to spend with her, but I was wondering if you would mind paying extra special attention when you come to our house. My husband and I are ONLY THINKING OF MICHAELA when we ask this, but the next time you stop by, will you please sprinkle Michaela with extra sleep dust? We are willing to pay extra.............

Thank You,
Sleepless in Iowa

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Samantha, the little girl I watch is the SAME way. However, she usually wakes up about once/twice a night and will scream bloody murder for an hour or two and then decides to go back to sleep. she typically sleeps like 9-5(except her 2-4 hours during the night) and then an hour and 20 minutes during the day. today she was up at 445am. miserable. her parents feel your pain.

Smith Family said...

I think I told you that Sophie was the same way until 18 months when I finally decided to read "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Dr. Ferber and that changed our lives! I had read many others and applied what I learned, and they helped for a little while, but this book has been the one that's really worked. It's really not as horrible as I thought it would be and you don't make them scream for hours. I was ready to do something about it and this is what worked for us. Good luck! I understand!

Kukay Family said...

Oh that sassy lil thing! =) I will leave the sandman a message too. Maybe if he hears it from more than one of us! =)

Life as a Greenstreet said...

So, what exactly does she do when she gets up?? You poor parents! 45 minutes is no nap at all! My my!! Good luck!

Tawnya said...

I am so sorry! Spencer seems to have been sprinkled with a little extra dust. I'll see if i can collect it and send it your way! You are toooooo funny.

...Laura... said...

Hayden was always a good sleeper until he hit the 2yr mark. Then all of a sudden he was terrible! I read up on a few methods, but they only seemed to work temporarily. The best thing that's worked for us was to stop worrying about him going to bed at 8pm. When he's tired, we put him to bed. And we make a really big deal about nightime prayers by his bed. He is usually in bed by 10 now, which is much better than having to re-direct him every 10 minutes until 1:00 in the morning! So I guess we learned that it wasn't that he didn't like to sleep, it was that we were trying to force it on him when he wasn't quite ready, and as a result he wouldn't get any.

Yuck.. .anyway- I hope she gets better! I'm sure she will. All things must come to an end! :)

Chelsea said...

Holy cow. You are so tough, I can't believe you've survived for so long! But I think that each child's bad habits are made up with good things. So, since Michaela's a bad sleeper, she's a wonderfully happy little girl. Sometimes I think that since Ethan's turned into a good sleeper he's more grumpy ;)

The Fifes said...

lol. That's pretty funny. You got lots of advice already. Good luck!!